Prosecutor: Stalking charges about to be filed at time of murder-suicide

Ofc. Kimberlee Carmack

The Marion County Prosecutor says his office was preparing to file felony stalking charges against an IMPD sergeant who killed his ex-wife before turning the gun on himself.

Prosecutor Terry Curry says there were just a few loose ends and that felony stalking charge would have landed Sgt. Ryan Anders behind bars.

Anders broke into Officer Kim Carmack's home last Thursday afternoon and fatally shot her.

Curry says no one knew Kim Carmack had decided to go back home - no one except the ex-husband she  feared.

"We absolutely all wish she had not gone back to her house,"  he said.

Curry said a D felony stalking charge was in the works for IMPD Sgt. Ryan Anders.  

Investigators had already discovered cell phone records and were trying to determine if Anders had been using a "find a phone" app to track his ex-wife's whereabouts.

"Of course making very, very serious allegations against a police officer and more importantly having a case then that we could successfully prosecute," he said, explaining why it was important to build a solid case.

Court records show Officer Carmack feared for her life since September of last year.

Those complaints were made public as she sought a restraining order against him, saying: "Ryan has been emotionally, physically and sexually abusive throughout our six-year relationship."

"I have reported this to my commander even though I was afraid Ryan would retaliate against me.  He has showed up unexpectedly in several situations.  He accuses me of having affairs with other officers.  His aggression is escalating and I am extremely afraid for my life."

Felony stalking is described by Curry as "obsessive behavior where you're constantly contacting the person, in such a way to clearly harass or annoy or frighten."

According to IMPD's timeline:

An internal tip came in about the couple on February 18th of this year.

On March 12th, IMPD Internal Affairs completed its investigation and put both Anders and Carmack on administrative leave and confiscated their weapons.

Anders was recommended for a psychiatric exam. 

"Their job in assisting us is also making a determination if he is in fact a danger to himself and to others," said Chief Rick Hite, talking about the City's Employee Assistance Program that evaluated Anders.

Both Anders and Carmack moved to safe living accommodations.  Carmack was assigned a Domestic Violence advocate.

On March 29th, Carmack got a protective order issued against Anders with the help of the prosecutor's office. It took effect March 31st.

The next day, the Prosecutor's Office began looking at potential charges. Curry says nothing pointed to an urgent crisis because neither IMPD nor the Prosecutor's Office were aware Carmack had left her safe place.

"Unfortunately for whatever reason, she made the tragic decision to go back to the house," he said.

Curry says this case was like the thousands they prosecute every year. They thought the protective order, GPS monitoring on Sgt. Anders' vehicle and a safe location for Carmack would give them the time they needed to build a solid case. Sadly, they didn't anticipate her return home.

On Tuesday, Officer Carmack's squad car will be parked outside of Southwest District where she worked. Her funeral procession will pass by on Wednesday.