Pregnant woman robbed at gunpoint in home invasion

Published: .
Updated: .

A pregnant Indianapolis woman came face-to-face with armed burglars at her home Tuesday night.

Police say the 23-year-old woman was watching television when she heard footsteps in her home on North Warman Avenue around 10 p.m. Tuesday. She told detectives two men entered her bedroom and pointed handguns at her.

She spoke with Eyewitness News Wednesday evening, sitting with her hands folded protectively across her stomach in her living room, a half-decorated Christmas tree in the background.

She's due to give birth in February, but after what she told police happened in her home Tuesday night, the woman was surprised she didn't go into early labor.

"This is my baby. I'm in love with my child," said the woman, who asked not to be identified.

"The love that you have for your child is, like, it's unexplainable. It's unconditional," she explained, talking about her actions when two men, with guns broke into her home as she lay in bed.

"I was looking down the barrel of two guns and then I just hid my face and was like take whatever they want," she recalled.

Her biggest concern, she said, was for the life of her unborn baby.

"I was like, I'm not gonna have my child. I carried her, she with me, but she was, I never got to hold her or anything like that," she said she remembered thinking, afraid the men were going to kill her.

She said the two men were around 18 and both had their faces covered with shirts. She could only see their eyes.

The suspects took a flat screen television, her cell phone and a single dollar bill sitting on her dresser.

"I guess that's what they wanted. So they took it. I didn't care. Not over my life anyway. Or my child's life. You could have taken the whole house if you wanted it," she said she remembers thinking. "I didn't want to look at them because, I don't know what they was thinking. The longer I looked at them, they probably would have ended up shooting me or something."

So the expectant mother stayed quiet until the men left. Then, she comforted the one person most important to her, her unborn child.

"I was, like, 'We gonna be okay. We made it through. You wasn't harmed or anything like that and I love you'," she said she told her baby.

Those are the three words this young woman said she can't wait to finally say to her baby in person after protecting her from what could have been a deadly situation.

Both men had black semi-automatic handguns. One of the suspects was wearing a red jacket.

Call Crime Stoppers at 262-TIPS with relevant information about this case.