One of three teens hospitalized after I-70 crash now recovering at home

Investigation continues into double fatal I-70 crash
I70 crash victim recovering at home

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) - Olivia Evans is recovering at her west side home.

The 18-year-old is the first victim released from hospitals after Tuesday's rollover wreck at Interstate 70's Harding Street exit. Two of her friends died and two others are still in the hospital.

"She is doing very well," she's very fortunate," said her grandfather, Milford Evans. "Of course a little emotional, but she's doing fine."

Evans reacted when we told him police found the driver of a vehicle that may have played a role in the crash.

"If they caused them to try to escape because they feared a confrontation or fight, then I'm glad they did locate them and maybe get to the bottom of this," he said.

Just minutes before the wreck, the five friends were at a park a couple miles to the west. At the park, something happened; some sort of a dispute between the victims and a couple of other women.

According to victim's family members, whatever happened made the five friends want to leave the park. As they pulled away, Olivia later told her grandfather, a truck followed them.

"She said that when they all jumped in the car and knew there was something going to take place they just did not think to just get out of there and get away. They never thought to put seatbelts on. And everything happened so fast.

Family member say they were told speeds reached 90 to 100 miles an hour.

"They got into the fast lane to kind of throw them off and it did, from what I heard," Evans said.

Taylor Parsons was driving and police say made a sudden move to cross all lanes and hit the exit. But the van rolled and crashed, ejecting all five unrestrained teens.

"From what I understand one of the passengers, one of the boy, said 'no no no' and that was it."

The crash killed Parsons and 18-year-old Brandon Gross, both students at Ben Davis High school.

With two teens dead, two still hospitalized and two best friends since age four (Olivia and Taylor) separated forever, the pain is enormous.

"We feel so bad for the other families, but what can you say," said Evans.

The police investigation continues. State oolice say the driver of that other vehicle is cooperating and that is helping the investigation.

No charges have been filed at this point. Police do not believe that other vehicle made physical contact with the victim's van.

Filed under: