One dead in northeast side crash with IMPD car

Picture courtesy INDOT

Steve Jefferson/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - A Metro Police officer running with his lights and sirens hit two motorcycle riders Friday morning. One of the motorcyclists is dead from injuries sustained in the crash. The other two are hospitalized.

The collision happened on East 56th Street near the Cottages Apartments at around 11:20 am. That's on the city's northeast side.

Two men and a woman were transported to Methodist Hospital in serious condition. One of the men, Eric Wells, 30, later died at the hospital. The two surviving crash victims are identified as Kurt Weekly, 44, and Mary Mills, 47. Weekly is listed as critical but stable, and Mills is in serious condition, but is alert and conscious. The officer says he tried to avoid hitting them but just couldn't avoid the crash.

Shawneeda McEwen described seeing the motorcyclists just seconds after they got hit by a police cruiser.

"She was rocking back and forth. I saw a guy get out of his car and he was trying to help her. There was another guy laying close to the police car and the other motorcycle," said McEwen.

Metro K9 Officer David Bisard was driving west on 56th Street using lights and sirens. Bisard says the stoplight turned red as he approached Brendon Way South Drive. Several drivers moved to the right shoulder, but Bisard says the three motorcycles stayed in the left lane and did not move.

"The officer collided with them from the rear," said Officer Brian Dixon, Metro Police.

Eric Wells died at Methodist Hospital. Witnesses tried to comfort 47-year-old Mary Mills at the scene. Paramedics rushed her and 44-year-old Kurt Weekly to the hospital. Bisard and his K-9 named Brix didn't require transport.

The impact left extensive front end damage to the officer's car and knocked a wheel off the rim of one of the bikes.

After several hours of reconstructing the crash, tow trucks hauled away both the police car and motorcycles involved. The investigation into what exactly caused the fatal accident is still underway.

Indianapolis Metro Police Chief Paul Ciesielski talked to Eyewitness News about the crash. We asked about equipment in police cars that could distract the driver.

"I don't know if that had a role to play in the accident. It will be part of the investigation. It's just an unfortunate accident," said Ciesielski.

Although it is still early as to how the officer and bikers ended up colliding, anyone operating a motor vehicle should know what to do when they hear lights and sirens.

"As drivers we just got to be more aware and be more cautious," said McEwen.

Traffic was diverted away from the intersection for several hours. traffic