One critical, others in good condition after deadly bus crash

Published: .
Updated: .

Six people remain hospitalized from injuries suffered in Saturday's bus crash.  One person is in critical condition at IU Health-Methodist Hospital with two others listed in good condition.

Three patients at Riley Hospital for Children are listed in good condition Sunday night.

A patient at Wishard Hospital was released Sunday.

Indianapolis Police reported early Sunday morning that all lanes of Keystone Avenue and I-465 were open.  That was nearly 12 hours after the bus crash that killed three people and an unborn child.  The bus was carrying teens from a church camp and crashed on a busy thoroughfare near Interstate 465.

It happened along Keystone Ave. just north of I-465 at around 4:00 pm. The crash closed that area of Keystone for the rest of Saturday evening.

The three people were a married couple, along with another person. It isn't known if that person was related to the husband and wife.

The bus was carrying 37 passengers who are members of Colonial Hills Baptist Church and were returning from camp in Michigan when the crash happened Saturday afternoon. Most of them were teenagers.

Witnesses told police that the bus was exiting I-465 and trying to make a left onto southbound Keystone Ave. at a very high rate of speed. The bus driver later told a witness that his brakes failed.

The bus entered the median and struck the concrete retaining wall, flipped into the air and landed on its side, traveling some distance, the metal leaving skid marks as it ground against the concrete.

Rushing in to help

Duane Lloyd witnessed the crash. He was headed southbound on Keystone and was just starting through the green light when he heard a loud noise behind him.
"Just as I went through, I heard a skid. I looked back. I see this bus in the air and people falling out of the bus," Lloyd said."I could have gone my whole life without seeing that."
But he also described a scene where people rushed in to help.
"Right's amazing. They talk about Hoosier Hospitality and how people run into action. I really didn't think about it. People were stopping their cars. People were literally trying to lift the bus," he said. "You just try to do what you can do."

IFD says four good Samaritans helped provide medical treatment before first responders arrived. One man helped pull the bus driver out.
Treating the victims
Indianapolis Fire Department spokesman Lt. Rita Burris confirms the deaths and says survivors were being taken to area hospitals. Those injured include children and adults.
Some of the victims were taken from the scene by helicopter. Twelve ambulances were used to transport patients.

IU Health officials say nine teenage victims were sent to Methodist Hospital from the crash scene.   As of 5:30 a.m. Sunday, one of them was still critical and three were in good condition.  One teen was transferred to Riley Hospital for Children.  Five others have been treated and released.
Ten patients were taken to Riley Hospital for Children (nine teens, one toddler).  Five have been treated and released, and 5 remain hospitalized in good condition.
Other patients were taken to St. Vincent and Community North.
Investigators have not had a chance to interview the bus driver yet. He was one of the first to be transported to a local hospital.
Investigation continues
An Indiana Department of Transportation camera showed the bus overturned on its side.
Roads near the scene were closed, and hazmat crews were in the area cleaning up diesel fuel that spilled.
At 6:00 pm, Indiana State Police were still investigating the crash. Drivers were asked to avoid the area. Crews are using a ladder truck to get an aerial view of the bus, which remained on its side at 6:15 pm.
The bus was turned upright just after 11:00 p.m. as it was being moved to another location for further inspection.
The northbound lanes of Keystone were open again near 96th St. as of 11:00 pm. The southbound lanes remained closed at that time.
IMPD reported early Sunday morning that all lanes of Keystone were open and the crash was cleaned up.