Noblesville family escapes morning house fire safely

Published: .
Updated: .

A Noblesville couple and their two children were able to escape without injury when their home caught fire early Wednesday.

It happened in the 19000 block of Chip Shot Road in the Prairie Crossing Subdivision.

Fire crews noted heavy smoke and fire pouring from the garage when they arrived at the home just before 8:00 am. They had the fire under control within about half an hour.

The owners of the home noticed the fire in the garage and quickly got out. One of them reported hearing a "popping" noise coming from the garage; then the smoke detectors started sounding in the home.

Although the fire was contained to the garage, there was smoke and heat damage to the interior of the home.

The Noblesville Fire Department says the fire started in the garage, where the homeowners had a makeshift sitting area.

Damage to the residence has been estimated at around $100,000.

No one was hurt in the fire, and firefighters were able to locate the family cat that was reunited with the family unharmed.

Firefighters had to deal with cold, icy conditions. The Noblesville Fire Department was assisted by the Cicero Fire Department.