Neighbors mourn death of three-year-old accidentally shot

Published: .
Updated: .

A family is in mourning Sunday night after a three-year-old got a hold of a gun and accidentally shoots and kills himself.

It happened Saturday evening in the 1800 block of East 68th Street.  Eyewitness News reporter Carrie Cline returned to the neighborhood Sunday where neighbors are sharing their thoughts about the tragic accident.

In the daylight, the home of Nicholas Gulling sits eerily quiet. The house stands behind a tall privacy fence, the gate padlocked shut. The only sign of anything new, a stuffed animal and action figure at the entry.

It's a stark contrast to the scene last night. Police say around 6:00pm on Saturday, they received a 911 call saying a gun went off and a child was hit. They responded to find Gulling's three-year-old son with a gunshot wound to the head. He was rushed to Riley Hospital for Children where he was later pronounced dead.

"It's one of those things where you don't want to take that call, you don't want to respond to something like this. Decent people..your heart breaks for something like this. Especially during this time of year," said Officer Chris Wilburn, Indianapolis Metro Police Department.

We spent some time in the neighborhood and encountered several people who've known the Gulling family for years. They only wanted to talk with us off camera. But, they said they have seen Nicholas plenty of times out and about in the neighborhood with his little boy and his daughter playing, throwing rocks in the pond and they described him as a kind and loving father and can only imagine he's devastated right now after this loss.

Neighbors say Nicholas lived in the home with his son, a four-year-old daughter and the childrens' mother. Police say they were all home at the time of the accident.

Neighbors say Nicholas' father owns the home, also lives here and rents out a room to at least one other man. Neighbors also told us they've seen Nicholas wearing a gun as a course of general protection.

Right now, police are still investigating trying to put the pieces of this tragic puzzle together.

IMPD says once they finish their investigation, they'll turn over the case to the Marion County Prosecutor's Office to determine if any charges should be filed.