Needle, staple found in Halloween candy

This is the needle that was found in the Kit Kat bar. The child had been trick or treating in the Commons area of Heartland Crossing.

Police in Indiana are investigating two separate incidents involving foreign objects found in Halloween candy.

Mooresville Schools in Morgan County sent out an urgent note to parents Thursday letting them know that a needle was found inside a Kit Kat bar amongst the candy a child collected Halloween night. The child had been trick or treating in the Commons area of Heartland Crossing.

Andrea Clampitt says she discovered the sewing needle when she reached into her son's trick-or-treat bag to grab a candy bar. When she touched the mini chocolate bar, she "felt something poking and opened it and turned around, saw something poking out of the candy."

Clampitt called her husband, who broke the bar open and found the needle inside.

"Why would you ruin a kid's holiday? This is for kids, not for sick jokes," she said.

They found the needle before the candy was eaten.

"I'm sick about it. From what I understand, a lot of other people are throwing their kids' candy away," said mother Paulette Griffith.

Griffith and neighbor Chris Hair spent Thursday double-checking their kids' Halloween candy. Hair felt every candy bar and combed the wrappers for tears or holes.

"I remember my parents used to do this," he said.

Some hospitals still x-ray candy at Halloween for free, but not as many. The x-ray craze started after hoaxes and urban legends in the 1960s and 1970s.

But researchers say almost every one of those scares so many years ago proved not to be true or were committed by the victim's family.

"It's been so many years since we've seen anything like this," Griffith said.

She says she would like to go back to the days of candy x-rays. Her neighbors agreed.

"It's very heartbreaking somebody would try to hurt a child. It's about the kids," Griffith said. "I hope I don't cry. I just can't believe it happened in our neighborhood."

Parents are urged to look through their children's candy before letting the child eat it. Anything suspicious should be reported to the sheriff's department at 765-342-5544 or the Mooresville Police Department at 317-831-3434.

Also, Columbus Police investigated a report of a heavy staple found in a Tootsie Roll. A woman told police that her five-year-old son was eating the candy when she discovered the staple. The boy did not swallow it and was not injured. Police say the candy wrapper had a hole in it consistent with a piece of metal being forced through it.

The boy had been trick or treating in Columbus from the 800 block of Lafayette up to the 2000 block and then south on Washington Street back to 8th.

Columbus Police took the candy wrapper and piece of metal to process as evidence.

As police looked into the Columbus case, they say they found inconsistencies. But they are still urging parents to look over their children's candy.