Murder charges filed against officer shooting suspect

Thomas Hardy is due in court Friday.

Indianapolis - Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry announced charges against the man suspected of shooting an Indianapolis Metro Police officer. Also, more details are emerging about the case against Thomas Hardy.

Thomas Hardy faces a murder charge in the shooting of Officer David Moore. He also faces a robbery with a deadly weapon charge, and a charge of possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon. All three charges are felonies.

Officer Moore was shot four times during a traffic stop Sunday morning. He died Wednesday from the injuries sustained in the shooting.

The probable cause affidavit indicates that Officer Moore's handgun was secured in its holster when responding officers found him lying on the ground with gunshot wounds.

Hardy also faces a robbery with a deadly weapon charge in connection with the robbery at a Dollar General store that occurred about 45 minutes after the shooting.

Curry said his office would work with detectives to determine if the death penalty can be brought.

"This office will now vigorously prosecute this case to its conclusion," said Curry, who said his office would make a "deliberative and critical analysis of the case both in terms of facts and the law" with regards to the death penalty.

Probable cause

According to the probable cause affidavit, Thomas Hardy told a friend he shot a police officer and that he needed to get rid of a car because he was wanted by police.

Court documents indicate Officer Moore knew Hardy's vehicle was stolen when he pulled up behind him on North Temple Avenue Sunday morning. Both men were outside of their vehicles when Hardy, apparently afraid to go back to prison, allegedly opened fire, shooting a handgun seven times. Four bullets struck Moore.

"There are witnesses who have placed the handgun with that defendant, in terms of being delivered to him," said Curry. "As well as then tying up the weapon to the murder itself through the forensic evidence."

Shell casings at the shooting scene were forensically matched to the gun found at the home where Hardy was taken into custody without incident.

"We will be relentless in the investigation, the apprehension, and the prosecution of those individuals who threaten the lives of our police officers, who threaten our department and threaten our community," said Frank Straub, Indianapolis public safety director.

Earlier this week, 13 Investigates learned that a mistake led to Hardy's release from prison.  Hardy was in jail in December on a theft charge, but notification was never made that he was on parole.

The parole agent involved in that mistake has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the DOC investigation.

Hardy has been convicted ten separate times for felonies, mostly theft and receiving stolen property, but also for burglary and drug possession. During the past 27 years, he's spent 19 behind bars.