Merrillville family found dead of apparent CO poisoning

Published: .
Updated: .

A Merrillville family, including two children, was found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in their home Wednesday evening.

The Lake County Coroner's Office says the bodies of Micheal Nichols, Kennetha Purnell and children Matthew and Morgan Nichols were found in a home in the 800 block of W. 70th Avenue around 6:30 p.m. A family member discovered the bodies after checking on the family.

The manner and cause of death were still pending, but police say a generator found in the home's garage was a possible source of carbon monoxide. Merrillville Police Chief Joseph Petruch said the rental house did not have power and that the deaths were "an unfortunate accident."

Police told the Chicago Tribune none of the victims appeared to suffer traumatic injuries. Petruch believes the family could have died as early as Saturday, but were just discovered Wednesday evening.