Marion County's Voter Experience Project announces future study sessions
On Wednesday, March 27, the Marion County Election Board's Voter Experience Project study group convened for its first organizational meeting to attend to brief business and set future sessions.
Chaired by Marion County Clerk Beth White, the 18-member group is scheduled to meet from 5:30 to 7:30PM in the Public Assembly Room located in the City-County Building, 200 E. Washington Street on the dates below:
- Monday, April 15 – Election Fundamentals
- Monday, April 29 – Poll Workers & General Procedures
- Monday, May 6 – Polling Sites & Accessibility
- Monday, May 20 – Voting Technology
- Monday, June 3 – Security Needs
- Monday, June 24 – Cost
- Monday, July 15 – Finalize draft report
Made up of political party officials, poll workers, elected officials and community leaders, the study group will discuss the two the two types of Election Day voting permitted under Indiana law – precinct or vote center. Precinct-based elections requires a person to vote in their neighborhood polling location; vote centers permit a person to vote anywhere in the county. The study group findings will be reported to the Election Board, and be used as the basis for public meetings this fall. The public input phase will allow all Marion County residents to share their opinions on how to meet the future needs of voters. Study group meetings are public, will air on WCTY Channel 16 and can be viewed on-demand here.
Also announced at Wednesday's meeting were the names of the appointed members of the invited organizations:
- Marion County Democratic Party: Pastor Stephen Clay, Ed Treacy, Lowell "Butch" Shroyer, Ronnie Huerta
- Marion County Republican Party: Adrianne Slash, Carlos May, Duane Merchant, Chris Douglas
- Marion County Libertarian Party: Brad Klopfenstein
- Marion County Board of Voter Registration: Democratic Co-Director LaDonna Freeman, Republican Co-Director Cindy Mowery
- Indianapolis-Marion County City-County Council: Democratic Councillor Vop Osili, Republican Councillor Aaron Freeman
- Office of Finance and Management: Budget Analyst Becky Motsinger
- Marion County IT Board: Deputy Chief Information Officer Beth Howen
- Greater Indianapolis NAACP: 2nd Vice President Byron Ratcliffe
- League of Women Voters of Indianapolis: K.D. Thurman
- Central Indiana Council on Aging: President & CEO Orion Bell
Launched in February, the Voter Experience Project is an initiative of the Election Board to begin a conversation about the way the county will conduct future elections. This community-wide discussion is important as our fleet of voting equipment and technology is aging and its license agreements expire at the end of 2014. Any new equipment will need to meet the future needs of Indianapolis voters, including where and how we vote.
Marion County Election Board's Voter Experience Project for info or call (317) 327-5100.