Man hospitalized; narrowly escapes smoke filled home

Photo courtesy of Indianapolis Fire Department.
Published: .
Updated: .

A man narrowly escaped his smoke filled home when he awoke and found it on fire.

At 3:26 a.m. the Indianapolis Fire Department was called to a home at 7996 E. 10th Street.   

Investigators say Russell Pennington, 43, suffered from smoke inhalation after awaking to a house full of smoke and narrowly succumbing to its toxic effects.

Pennington was able to make it outside and call 911 but was transported with injury after being checked on scene by medics.

Family pets were also rescued, though one cat remains missing.

Firefighters located the fire in the basement and had it under control in about 20 minutes.

Officials estimate damage at around $50,000.

Investigators say there were no active smoke detectors in the home.

The fire is still under investigation.