Leaking moped sparks apartment fire

Picture from Indianapolis Fire Department
Published: .
Updated: .

Officials with the Indianapolis Fire department say a moped that was leaking gas sparked a fire at an apartment building on the near south side early Sunday morning.

Fire crews were dispatched to 2442 Dawson Street at 12:32 a.m.

When crews arrived at Dawson Street Apartments, there was fire showing from the back of the building.

It took firefighters only 15 minutes to put the fire out.

Initially, crews thought the building was vacant.  Then realized one family did live in the building.  Todd Khanthamany, 20, and Marissa Riddle, 19, have been residents for about a year. 

Khanthamany told fire fighters that he brought his moped inside while it was still hot.  It was also leaking fuel. He stated the moped caught on fire and he evacuated. Riddle was not home at the time.

Damage is estimated at $50,000.

Officials added that one person unrelated to fire was taken to the hospital for cardiac arrest.