Late field goal pushes Steelers past Colts, 23-20

Published: .
Updated: .

INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis Colts' defense came out with a stellar effort, but the Pittsburgh Steelers escaped with a last-second win at Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday night.

Pittsburgh scored first, moving into Colts territory and taking a 3-0 lead on a 48-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham. The Colts picked up a first down on their initial possession, but were forced to punt. 

After an exchange of punts, Ben Roethlisberger found Mike Wallace for an 81-yard touchdown reception, giving Pittsburgh a 10-0 lead. Roethlisberger threw for 171 yards in the first quarter.

The Colts drove inside the Steelers' five-yard line after Robert Mathis forced a Roethlisberger fumble, but had to settle for an Adam Vinatieri field goal when Kerry Collins' third down pass sailed over the head of Dallas Clark in the side of the end zone.

Dwight Freeney sacked Roethlisberger on the ensuing possession, knocking the ball loose for Jamaal Anderson, who picked it up and returned it 47 yards for a touchdown at the two-minute warning.

Moments later, defensive back Joe Lefeged intercepted a Roethlisberger pass at midfield, returning it to the Steelers' 30. A personal foul penalty moved the ball to the 15, but the Colts had to settle for another Vinatieri field goal, giving them a 13-10 lead with 15 seconds left in the half.

"Extraordinary effort. I mean, absolutely unbelievable effort," Colts head coach Jim Caldwell said of his defense after the game.

"We did some good things, but it wasn't enough," Freeney said.

The Steelers moved to the Colts' 19-yard line in the third quarter, but Suisham's field goal attempt hit the left upright and bounced away.

A 44-yard field goal by Suisham tied the score at 13 early in the fourth quarter.

Curtis Painter entered the game with 12:10 remaining in the fourth quarter, replacing Collins. He overthrew a wide-open Pierre Garçon down the right sideline on third down in his first series.

The Associated Press reported Collins was being evaluated for a possible concussion.

James Harrison sacked Painter at the Colts 18-yard line, jarring the ball free to safety Troy Polamalu, who scooped it up and ran in for the go-ahead touchdown for the Steelers with 6:11 remaining.

Addai capped off a 10-play, 80-yard drive with a six-yard touchdown run to tie the score at 20.

"I think Joe did a great job running, the line and him did a great job. Made a couple of big passes there, we jumped out. Just a heck of an effort on Joe on that last play to get in there," Painter said.

Suisham kicked his third field goal of the game from 38 yards to give the Steelers a 23-20 win.

You can see highlights at