Large business fire closes road in Frankfort
A large business fire closed County Road 200 West in Frankfort Tuesday afternoon.
Crews from several fire departments attacked the fire from above, but their efforts were hampered by gusty winds. It started at the Sunoco Molded Plastics building, burning wood pallets and cardboard at the recycling company. Several acres of land were scorched.
The road was closed from Indiana 28 to County Road 0. Residents near the fire were advised to shelter in place as a precaution because the fire produced dense clouds of black smoke. School children at Suncrest Elementary were dismissed early because it was downwind from the fire and educators were concerned about air quality.
Clinton County central dispatch director Renee Crick says Frankfort's fire chief asked the sheriff's department to issue an alert warning residents east of the plant to remain indoors.
No word yet what sparked the fire.