Kitchen fire damages east side home

Indianapolis Fire Department

An east side family is out of their home on Thanksgiving due to an early morning grease fire.

Crews arrived in the 2900 Block of Forest Manor Avenue to find heavy smoke coming from the kitchen area. 

IFD says everyone got out of the house safely but the home is heavily damaged. 

IFD says someone in the house fell asleep after putting grease on the stove to heat up. 

Someone else in the house later smelled smoke and discovered the kitchen was on fire.

Crews had the fire under control within 20 minutes.

IFD says the family had no renter's insurance, but they will stay with relatives. Firefighters also remind residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors in their home.