KARMYN, Styx among 2013 Indiana State Fair free concerts
The Marsh Free Stage is the place to be for music lovers at this year's Indiana State Fair.
Legendary pop/rock band Styx highlights the line-up of free shows with its Aug. 12 performance, just one of many chart-topping acts booked for the event's 17-day run, Aug. 2 - 18.
Other nationally known Marsh Free Stage performers include: pop duo KARMIN; rock bands Blind Melon and Vertical Horizon; and country duo Montgomery Gentry. There's also folk/rock singer Matt Nathanson; rockers Theory of a Deadman; and a line-up of 1980's hit-makers like Christopher Cross, Orleans and Firefall.
For older pop/rock fans, the "Happy Together Tour" Aug. 6 offers The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie, Chuck Negron formerly of Three Dog Night, Gary Puckett, Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & The Raiders and Gary Lewis & The Playboys. To top it off, actor-musician Kevin Costner and Modern West will play its rock/country mix of music Aug. 8. All of these shows are free with paid admission to the fair.
With longtime members James "J.Y." Young and Tommy Shaw still leading the way, Styx is in its fifth decade of performing hits like "Lady," "Come Sail Away," "Fooling Yourself" and "Renegade." The group is the first to ever make four consecutive Multi-Platinum albums (at least two million sold) with three of those achieving at least Double Platinum status. Their Aug. 12 performance begins at 7:30 p.m.
Here is the up-to-date list of Marsh Free Stage concerts and events:
· Aug. 2: KARMIN (7:30 p.m.)
· Aug. 3: Matt Nathanson (7:30 p.m.)
· Aug. 4: Hispanic Music Day (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
· Aug. 6: "Happy Together Tour" with The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie, Chuck Negron formerly of Three Dog Night, Gary Puckett, Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & The Raiders and Gary Lewis & The Playboys (7 p.m.)
· Aug. 8: Kevin Costner and Modern West (7:30 p.m.)
· Aug. 9: Theory of a Deadman (7:30 p.m.)
· Aug. 11: Contemporary Christian Music Day featuring Matthew West, For King and Country, Jason Castro, Love and the Outcome, Carmen D'Arcy (2 to 9 p.m.)
· Aug. 12: Styx (7:30 p.m.)
· Aug. 14: "Sailing Rock Tour" featuring Christopher Cross, Orleans, Firefall, John Ford Coley, Robbie Dupree and Player (7 p.m.)
· Aug. 15: Montgomery Gentry (7:30 p.m.)
· Aug. 17: Blood, Sweat & Tears (7 p.m.)
· Aug. 18: Pepsi Gospel Music Day (4 to 9 p.m.)
The Marsh Free Stage, a permanent stage in the northwest corner of the fairgrounds in Dow AgroSciences Celebration Park, can accommodate about 5,000 fans.