Investigators: "Explosion" on east side actually just a fire

Published: .
Updated: .
What was first reported to police as an explosion was actually just a fire, according to investigators.

A 52-year-old visiting the home in the 1900 block of North Olney Street just before 9:30 p.m. was smoking a cigarette while carrying two garbage bags filled with clothes down to the basement. Witnesses said he fell down the stairs and his cigarette caught the bags of clothes on fire, according to a statement from Captain Rita Reith with IFD.

The man was treated at a local hospital for burn injuries to his lower legs. At last check, he was listed in serious condition.

Damage to the house was estimated at $100.