Indianapolis bank robbery leads to police chase


Indianapolis Metro Police have two suspects in custody following a bank robbery at the Fifth/Third Bank on College Ave. The robbery led to a police chase on the Indianapolis north side.

It happened before 4:00 pm Monday afternoon at the branch located at 8549 College Ave. The suspects fled in a silver Toyota heading southbound on College, then bailed and fled on foot after they crashed their car.

IMPD and the FBI officers set up a perimeter in the area of 75th and College Ave. They caught up with two of the suspects after a lengthy foot chase.

Investigators say one suspect climbed his way up a hill, which brought him face to face with a couple inside their home.

"He didn't say a word. He didn't even really look at me," said Louise Levine.

Louise Levine and her husband Neil went to their sunroom Monday afternoon and noticed one of the bank robbers outside.

"I said, 'What are you doing here? What do you want?'," Louise recalled.

She then quickly locked the window while her husband called 911.

"I saw him come over the rail on our upper deck," her husband Neil Levine said.

Neil walked the halls of his home going to each window to track his every move.

"He started to go up those stairs [on the deck] when he took off his green jacket and threw it down on the ground," he said. "I just wanted to be sure that he didn't suddenly decide to come in the house."

Officers were then on scene and surrounded their neighborhood and eventually nabbed the suspect.

"If he was going to try to break into our house then I would either panic or figure out what to do," he laughed. "I wasn't sure at the time."

Police say the two suspects drove a mile and a half down College and right into a construction zone.

"My friend said that I stopped the bad guys with my car," said Brittney Baxter.

The two suspects, police say, crashed into the back of Baxter's brand new Subaru.

"My air bags deployed and the car went in the woods and then I stopped my car and watched the guys jump up the valley, so I assumed something bigger was going on," she said.

The FBI and canines arrived at the scene, with one suspect quickly caught while the other climbed his way up to the Levine's.

"I knew he was up to no good, that's what I felt, but for some reason, I wasn't afraid and I opened the window which was stupid," she laughed.

Louise calls it a lesson learned, and feels their dog "Cota" may have scared him away.

As for Britney's wrecked car, battling with insurance is the least of her worries.

"I'm getting ready to leave for quite a few weeks with different travel plans so now my car will be in the shop while I am gone," she said.

The FBI is handling the investigation. Officers have not released the names of the two suspects, their charges, or how much money they briefly got away with.