Indiana official: fireworks dangerous to children

Published: .
Updated: .

The Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office says two out of every five fireworks injuries affects children under the age of 15.

State Fire Marshal, Jim Greeson says that with the Independence Day holiday this week, caution should be used to prevent injuries, especially among children

He says even seemingly harmless fireworks can cause injuries. He says sparklers burn at about 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. That's 300 degrees hotter than the temperature at which glass melts.

Greeson says glow sticks make an excellent alternative to sparklers, especially for young children, and can be purchased at many retailers.

Greeson says it's good to have a fire extinguisher, hose, bucket of water or other water source nearby when lighting fireworks.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)