Hoosier runners return from Boston

Published: .
Updated: .

Nearly 280 runners from Indiana were registered to run the Boston Marathon, and some of them have returned home.

It's difficult for any of us to imagine what it must have been like; to prepare for this race, the excitement building up to it and then the shock that came with the reality of yesterday's tragedy.

The crowd is likened to Times Square on New Year's Eve. Many of them spectators, of course the runners.

Runners from Indiana, their family and friends who made the trip to join in what should have been, what has been every year since, a day of celebration, of victory.

Those explosions were about 20 seconds apart, and in the same general area near the finish line. They happened about four hours into the race, and about 30 minutes after one Indiana man crossed the finish line.

His wife, Meggie Dials, was waiting for him, exactly in the area between the two explosion sites.

"[I have been] reliving the entire day and thinking about all the people I had spent the entire day with and wondering if they were okay. I actually had kids all around me standing on the guardrails getting really excited cheering for their runners trying to figure out what country they came from. The energy of the children was so huge and all I can think about its that that's where I was and that's where the bombs went off."

We caught up with runner from Carmel just as he returned to the Indianapolis airport overnight about his experience in Boston. Todd Oliver said he was three block from the finish line when the explosion went off.

"To me it reminded me of what you would hear at a college football game when the cannon goes off and somebody scores. It went off twice and I looked at the volunteer who just happened to be standing there and I said what was that, and she said, I don't really know. That's when you could tell something bad happened. Because there was lots of confusion. Not panic. But just confusion in terms of the looks on people's faces The first group of people that were crying going in the other direction. Of course that alerted you. The overall crowd was hushed a bit."

Much of that confusion Todd said he noticed as he walked back to his hotel, near the finish line which became the staging area for police and media.