Home a total loss after fire on East 34th Street

Published: .
Updated: .
A house in the 5000 block of East 34th Street is a total loss after a fire around 8 a.m. Friday morning.

No one was injured in the fire, but a firefighter got a slight burn on one wrist.

According to the fire department, both homeowners, 59-year-old twins Marvin and Melvin Germany were home at the time.  Melvin was was in the basement when he accidentally knocked over a motorcycle onto a can full of gasoline. At the same time, investigators say he accidentally dropped his lit cigarette igniting the gas fumes.

Marvin was upstairs when the fire started.

Melvan ran upstairs, alerted the other two people who were home and they were able to get out safely.

"I heard my twin calling my name and went down there with the fire," Marvin said. "I tried to fire up the water hose, but I couldn't reach it. I could have really put it out if I could have got the water hose--at least kept it under control."

"Firefighters had a lot of difficulties fighting this fire," said Capt. Rita Reith with the Indianapolis Fire Department. "They did have live ammunition explode during the firefight. They dealt with spongy floors because there was so much fire in the basement that the first floor was really spongy."

The brothers had lived in the home for 35 years.