Hazmat called to acid leak on west side
Metro hazardous materials handlers were called to a Rolls-Royce facility early Thursday morning for an acid spill.
Only 12 people were working at the facility on Fortune Circle South shortly after Midnight. None were hurt, but they did evacuate while the spill was contained.
According to Lt. Troy Wymer, the Wayne Township Fire spokesman at the scene, a valve failed, causing three types of acid to mix in an aluminum drum, and eat through the drum. That's when employees called 911.
A possible explosion of hydrogen gas was a concern, but the hazmat team contained the spill and neutralized the threat with soda ash.
No neighboring businesses, including motels in the area, were threatened.