Great song mixes for workouts
Music can make or break your workout, but finding the perfect playlist can be tricky.
If you can't make a fitness class, you stand a better chance of duplicating the experience if you're working out to good music.
It's partly volume and mostly tempo. The target range is 132 beats per minute. Studies show that the right music encourages you to exercise longer and more vigorously.
That's why US Olympic pilates instructor Molly Tittle spends Tuesdays at the computer creating a new music playlist for class. Her decisions are based on listening to snippets, considering online reviews and checking out favorites.
"The other thing I absolutely love to get music from is the Ellen Degeneres show, believe it or not, because she always has good songs that she dances to that gets the crowd going."
When looking for the perfect music complement keep in mind there are target beats that roughly correspond to your target heart rate. For running it can be as high as 147 to 160 beats per minute.
The following music mixes were featured in our 5:30 pm story Tuesday about fitness and music. All of the playlists run about 60 minutes.
You can download the mixes via iTunes (please note there is a 99-cent charge per most songs). If you have iTunes installed on your computer, look up the following:
Channel 13 Cycle Mix created by MFitness
This indoor cycling mix was created with all cycling terrains in mind. The warm up song seems to get under your feet and begin to inspire you to greater efforts. There are significant tempo changes that allow for quick legs movements for sprinting on flat ground and extended slower beats that resemble climbing long distance hills. Songs with similar beats are placed together for maximum fat burning. Cool down properly with a song from Robert Plant and Allison Krauss's 2009 Grammy award winning album.
1. World Gone Crazy (Nick Murray Remix) - Sleepthief
2. Sinnerman (Felix Da Housecat's Heavenly House Mix) - Nina Simone & Felix da Housecat
3. Mercy - Duffy
4. I Like It, I Love It - Lyrics Born
5. Can't Get You out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
6. Lovers In Japan (Osaka Sun Mix) - Coldplay
7. Send Me on My Way - Rusted Root
8. Heartache Tonight - Eagles
9. Last Station (Club Mix) - Nomenklatür
10. Disc Odyssey (Remix) - Crazy P
11. Stuck In the Middle With You - Stealers Wheel
12. Tambourine (Radio Edit) - Eve
13. Stayin' Alive - N-Trance
14. Please Read the Letter - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
Channel 13 Pilates created by MFitness
From warm up to cool down, this energizing mix of tempo changing songs allows for a complete and challenging Pilates/core focused workout. The mix starts out with Hard Sun, and excellent song to coordinate with breath, followed by an inspiring song with great lyrics to stretch. Find comfort in recognizing some songs in the middle as the workout becomes more strenuous and your mind more focused. The list ends with a tried and true favorite Samples song “acoustic style”. Enjoy!
1. Hard Sun (Main) - Eddie Vedder
2. Hope - Shaggy
3. Jive Talkin' - Bee Gees
4. In the Mood - Robert Plant
5. Move Ya Body - Jabba & Nina Sky
6. Praise You - Fatboy Slim
7. Hum Along and Dance (Morales Giamsta Mix) - Jackson 5
8. Redemption Song (Oh Happy Day) - Moodswings
9. I Love to Move In Here - Moby
10. Not My Idea - Garbage
11. Relax (Your Mind) [Sinan Mercenk's Soulful Remix] - Blank & Jones
12. Slide - Agnelli & Nelson
13. Taking Us Home (Live Acoustic) - The Samples
Channel 13 High Energy Mix created by MFitness
Get your engine started with the first song, MotoGP as you begin your heart pumping workout. The songs are weaved together nicely with enough tempo changes to help you accelerate your energy supply when you might be dragging in the middle. With great rise and fall and anticipation of beats this mix explodes at times and will be one of your favorites when you want to burn maximum calories!
1. MotoGP - Jim Watson
2. Don't Stop Dancin (Electro Progressive House Radio Mix) - Steve H
3. I Begin to Wonder - Dannii Minogue
4. Let the Music Play (Macutchi Remix) - Shannon
5. The Right Way (Chriss Ortega Funky Mix) - Wawa & Herd
6. Sweet Dreams (Harlan Pepper & AG III Remix) - Beyoncé
7. Disco Jalousie - Plaisir de France
8. Deep at Night (Adam K & Soha Remix) - Ercola & Heikki L
9. Angel On My Shoulder (EDX's Belo Horizonte At Night Remix) - Kaskade & Tamra
10. How Long? (feat. Jahala) - Aly & Fila & FKN
11. When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland) - David Guetta
12. First Cool Hive (Alternate Version) - Moby