Gas odor evacuates Carmel apartment building
The smell of gas prompted Carmel residents to leave their apartments while the fire department checked out the source of the odor.
After Saturday's explosion in the Richmond Hill neighborhood, residents of the Twin Lakes Apartments off Guilford Avenue were quick to leave their buildings when firefighters arrived around midnight Thursday.
Wayne Sasseman was asleep when firefighters woke him. "I got in the hallway and I could smell gas, at that point," he said. "Couldn't smell it in my apartment, though."
"It's good that they were here quickly and got us out of there." Sasseman added that the deadly explosion on the south side "crossed my mind."
Firefighters traced to source of the odor to a stove that failed to light in one unit.
Sasseman, who has lived in the complex for a year, said residents from only one side of the drive were asked to leave their apartments.