Fishers fatal stabbing started with disagreement over girlfriend

Corbin Montgomery
Published: .
Updated: .

 A stabbing that left an 18-year-old Fishers man dead started with a disagreement over the suspect's girlfriend, according to court documents. The suspect is claiming he acted in self-defense.

Corbin Montgomery, 18, is being charged with a felony count of murder in connection with Connor Shockley's stabbing death Sunday night in a Fishers subdivision.

The fight between the teenagers lasted just 15 seconds, but when it was over, Shockley was dead.

Most of Shockley's friends had little to say as the left the courtroom after Tuesday's hearing. They came to support his family as his alleged killer was formally charged with murder.

"He killed our friend. We'll never see him again. He killed someone's son and best friend and we're never going to see him again," said Lili O'Donnell. "I was supposed to see him the night it happened and we ended up going home and I was supposed to see him and give him a hug when saw him and it's hard."

Montgomery sobbed as he pleaded not guilty during the video hearing.

The Hamilton County coroner found that Shockley died from three stab wounds and has ruled the death a homicide. Shockley was stabbed in his torso, including the middle of his chest. That wound reached his heart. He also had multiple superficial cuts to his neck and defensive wounds on his hands.

Montgomery told investigators that he and Shockley had been arguing via text messages and social media over Montgomery's girlfriend, identified as Katie. On Sunday night, Montgomery and Katie went to another person's home on Wooster Court and met Shockley. Montgomery told police Shockley was "cool" when he came up to Montgomery's car and said he wasn't trying to steal Montgomery's girlfriend.

Montgomery told Shockley he could get into the car. At that point, Montgomery told police that Shockley asked to use Montgomery's phone. He used the phone to text a friend after allegedly telling Montgomery that he didn't have his own phone, but then after using Montgomery's phone to send the text, he pulled out his own phone.

According to court documents, Montgomery told investigators Shockley ran from the car with Montgomery's phone. Montgomery told police he ran after Shockley with a knife that he kept in his car.

Once Montgomery caught up with Shockley, he says Shockley punched him in the face, and Montgomery then stabbed Shockley several times. Montgomery and his girlfriend left the scene, but after talking with his father on the phone, Montgomery decided to return to the scene, where police took him into custody.

"I didn't know they'd take it this far. I didn't know something like this could happen," O'Donnell said.

"It doesn't make sense the two were in the car together. Connor was such a sweet person," said another friend of the victim, Kristen Tartar.

Montgomery told police he bought the knife a week earlier for his protection, and that he was keeping it in the car. Police found the knife inside Montgomery's car, along with blood.

Police say Montgomery had a small mark on his nose and an abrasion on his right hand. Montgomery told police that Shockley had struck him several times.

The detective pointed out to Montgomery that he made the decision to run after Shockley with the knife, and Montgomery agreed. The detective told Montgomery that he thought the two teens' previous "trash talk" online had created animosity between them, and that although things were apparently cooling down, Shockley's running off with Montgomery's cell phone sparked it again.

Neither the family of the suspect nor the victim wished to talk on camera Tuesday. Montgomery's next court date is a pre-trial hearing September 5. He is being held in the Hamilton County Jail without bond.