Firefighters say Indy woman saved neighbor
Indianapolis firefighters are crediting an Indianapolis woman with saving an elderly neighbor's life after a fire began in the neighbor's garage.
Firefighters says the children of 44-year-old Michelle Hargraves alerted her about 1:30 a.m. Sunday about the fire, and the woman ran next door and tried unsuccessfully to kick a door in.
Capt. Rita Burris says Hargraves then broke a window and climbed inside, ran to a bedroom and woke 70-year-old Lois Sprinkle.
Burris says Sprinkle's home had no working smoke detectors. She says the home sustained an estimated $70,000 in damages.
Hargraves was treated for a small cut on a hand. Sprinkle wasn't injured.
Burris says Sprinkle believes the fire might have started with a malfunction in the woman's 22-year-old car.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)