Firefighter injured in house fire

Published: .
Updated: .

Indianapolis firefighters say improper use of a gas stove is to blame for a house fire on the city's southwest side.

It happened in the 1400 block of Kappes Street, near Belmont and Minnesota Street.  IFD tells Eyewitness News a family of five lived in the duplex. They turned a gas stove on to help heat their home this morning.  About ten minutes later, the kitchen caught fire.

Everyone in the house was able to escape without injury. They do have a family pet - a mixed breed dog named Yoda - that is now missing.

One firefighter was slightly injured with a steam burn to his ear while fighting this fire. He was taken to a nearby hospital to be checked out.

It took firefighters about an hour to get the fire under control. They also had to deal with below-freezing temperatures.

Investigators say the house did have working smoke detectors. Damage is estimated to be $70,000.

The family does not have insurance.

While firefighters weren't sure if the family had heat, IFD reminds residents not to use appliances to heat homes. If you can't make your utility payments, contact your utility company to work out a payment plan.