Family marks anniversary of motorcyclist's death


Emotions spilled over as parents marked the second anniversary of their son's death, allegedly at the hands of a drunk police officer.

Two years to the day, and almost the exact hour, the family of Eric Wells stood feet from where their son lay after IMPD Officer David Bisard slammed his police cruiser into him and a group of motorcyclists. Eric was killed, two others were injured.

Disputed blood tests reveal Bisard was drunk, with a blood alcohol content more than twice the legal limit.

"We're here to remember him. But the pain is as bad as when it happened," said Eric's mother Mary as emotions took over.

"It brings a lot of tears. That doesn't seem to end. So, just the day and this place," said Eric's father Aaron, picking up where his wife trailed off. "You look back from the beginning and none of it should have ever have gone this way for anybody."

In June, without admitting fault, the City of Indianapolis agreed to an historic settlement that will eventually pay the Wells estate $1.5 million.

But the criminal case is far from over.

The Wells family is awaiting a critical ruling from an appeals court on whether Bisard's blood was obtained according to law. They believe a ruling in their favor could reintroduce a drunk driving charge against Bisard.

"You hope that it brings a decision that will allow this man to face the justice, the full justice that he should face," said Wells' father, fighting back tears.

Bisard has been on unpaid administrative leave from IMPD and has never spoken publicly about the incident.

"My client has always acknowledged that this is a terrible tragedy and his family prays about it everyday and their heart goes out to everyone in this case," Bisard's attorney John Kautzman told Eyewitness News, adding that Bisard is bearing the brunt of community outrage and what he calls misinformation. "There's no winners in this case. There will never be winners in this case."

Now, at the two-year mark, the most either side can call for is truth. A scientific analysis of two vials of Bisard's blood could be the start.

"I believe it's going to come back with David Bisard and his DNA and I believe it's going to show within the perimeter of him being intoxicated at the time it was drawn," said Aaron Wells.

Bisard's initial blood draw was called into question because it was done by a lab tech at an Occupational Health facility.

In April, it was discovered that at least one of the vials was also stored without refrigeration for five months.

David Bisard's blood now sits in the Marion County Crime Lab awaiting a judge's order on when the vials can be shipped to a Texas lab for analysis. Bisard's attorney will also have an expert present for that testing.