Family fights back against home invasion suspect

Whitcomb crime scene.
Published: .
Updated: .

A home invasion suspect is in police custody thanks to a family who decided to fight back. The man could be a suspect in two separate west side home invasions.

A mother and daughter say the man tied them up, ransacked their townhouse on Whitcomb Terrace, near 10th and Lynhurst, and stole an iPad, coat and purse.

Police described the suspect as a black male, 20-25 years old, wearing a gray hoodie with a black and white scarf and dark pants.

Melinda Mullican said he broke through her glass patio door around 2:00 a.m. and showed a gun, then asked the woman and her 25-year-old daughter to blindfold each other while he went through their belongings.

"When the guy comes through with a gun in hand, I backed up and said, 'Okay, what do you want?' He grabbed me from the front and said 'Who else is in here?', forced me up the stairs, of course my daughter heard me screaming, so she's up out of bed, forced his way into my room and started ransacking the thing," said Melinda Mullican.

A black and white scarf turned up at another home invasion scene hours later.

A man fitting a similar description to the first suspect broke into an apartment on Glen Arm Road near West 34th Street and High School Road just before 5:00 a.m.

He fired a shot at the surprised residents, but missed.

"Nobody got hurt, nothing," said Alexis Martinez, who lives in the apartment with a total of 12 family members. "He opened the door a little bit and my dad just pulled the gun up like that...and then he shot."

They retaliated with a golf club, beating the intruder in the head and knocking out some of his teeth, according to police.

"A putter, to be exact. There were a few teeth left behind," said IMPS Sgt. Steve Ferklic.

Wounded by the family that decided to fight back.

"He said to let him go, because this house was the wrong house he was in," said Alexis.

The 25-year-old suspect was taken to Eskenazi Hospital in police custody for treatment.