Duke Energy worker electrocuted at Carmel facility

Published: .
Updated: .

A Duke Energy employee was killed in an accident at a power substation Tuesday afternoon.

The 50-year-old utility worker, whose identity has not yet been released, was fatally injured while working at the facility on 141st Street east of Towne Road. Two other workers were inside a shed at the substation when they heard a noise and came outside to see the man had been shocked and was on fire.

The workers extinguished the fire, began lifesaving procedures and called paramedics, but the worker was pronounced dead at the hospital.

A Duke Energy spokesperson says the company is investigating the incident.