Dog's barking helps couple escape from house fire
A southern Indiana couple says their dog helped them escape unharmed from a house fire that was apparently sparked by a backyard grill.
The couple says their 7-year-old labradoodle, Macy, began barking Sunday afternoon just before they heard a loud roar. They fled their rented home in Ellettsville with the canine.
The home's owner, Lou Shelton, tells The Herald-Times the dog may have smelled gas leaking from a propane tank on the grill.
Ellettsville Fire Chief Jim Davis says the fire that destroyed the home about 45 miles southwest of Indianapolis appears to have started at a propane cylinder and barbecue grill behind the home. He says the residents had recently used the grill and were storing another propane cylinder in a nearby shed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)