Dog rescued from apartment fire

Published: .
Updated: .

A kitchen fire forced the evacuation of several residents Sunday afternoon at the Heritage Apartments on the northeast side of the city.

Firefighters were dispatched just before 2:30 p.m. to the 4100 block of North Emerson Avenue for a fire with entrapment. Callers to 911 reported there was possible entrapment but firefighters said residents had evacuated and no entrapment was found.

Kim Croney told firefighters her daughter awoke to a fire in the kitchen of their apartment and ran out of the apartment. She was not sure how the fire started in the kitchen. 

During the search firefighter Robin Whitaker found a barely conscious dog in the apartment where the fire started. The six-year-old poodle, Mandy, was brought outside to firefighter/paramedic David O'Connor. 

O'Connor quickly administered oxygen therapy to the dog via a project breathe mask. Two additional medics joined in the efforts to resituate the dog. The dog regained consciousness and was taken to the Noah's Animal Hospital to be checked out.

Only one apartment and the interior stairwell sustained heavy fire damage with the rest sustaining smoke and water damage. In addition a broken water pipe on the third floor added to the damage.

Apartment management is working to relocate the residents within the complex.