Doctors: Next 24-48 hours "crucial" for officer

Officer David Moore

Kris Kirschner/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - Doctors say the next two days are "crucial" for an IMPD officer shot during a traffic stop Sunday.

Officer David Moore, 29, was shot four times, including at least twice in the head and face, with one of the bullets narrowly missing vital tissue. When paramedics got to Moore at the scene, he did not have a pulse and attempts to revive him failed until he was in the ambulance. His father, retired IMPD Officer Spencer Moore, says the best anyone can do now is pray.

"I would like to thank this entire city and this police department for all of the support they have given us," he said. "My son was shot today, multiple times. We do not know if he is going to survive this attack."

Spencer Moore has seen friends injured in the line of duty, but this time, it's his son.

"I think if any of you are parents out there, when you look at your child in this shape on a bed, you wish you could trade places with him, which I sincerely do," said Moore, who served nearly 40 years with the police department.

One by one, officers from departments statewide made their way to Wishard Hospital Sunday. Their urgency was apparent, as their brother in uniform was fighting for his life.

"We'd ask everyone in the city to pray for Officer Moore and his family," said Public Safety Director Dr. Frank Straub.

While a city prays, doctors at Wishard work to save Moore, a member of IMPD's North District, who, during a routine traffic stop on his beat, was shot in the line of duty Sunday morning.

"One in the chin, one right below the eye," said Wishard Trauma Chief Dr. Gerardo Gomez.

Four bullets hit the officer, but it was the injuries to his face that are of gravest concern for his medical team. Doctors say the bullet passed through the back of Moore's neck, narrowly missing the vital brain stem and spinal cord, instead hitting a vertebrae and blood vessel.

"The bullet, when it passes through, it doesn't create a hole, it creates an area of impact that surrounds that hole and he may have some injury to his brain and spinal cord. We can't see yet," said neurotrauma surgeon Dr. Ben Rodgers.

"This is the bad part of it. He has suffered a great deal of trauma to the neck area and some damage to some bones and tissue in and around the neck," Spencer Moore said. "As of yet, he has not responded to any of the neurological events they have attempted."

Right now, Officer Moore is in a coma, in the hopes they can get him to a point where they can run more tests, while his family waits. Roughly 150 officers made their way to Wishard soon after Officer Moore arrived to hold vigil.

Doctors say the next 24-48 hours are critical. Officer Moore's long term prognosis will depend upon how well he does in the next day or so. Surgery is out of the question until he is stable.

"He is still with us and I expect that he will still remain to be with us. Of course, that is what a father has to do," the officer's father said. "Let me tell you, I'm praying as hard as I can."

"We all remain hopeful," said IMPD Chief Paul Ciesielski.