Doctor: No more deaths expected from Fort Hood
A hospital physician says he doesn't expect any more fatalities resulting from the shooting at Fort Hood that left three dead and wounded 16 others.
Dr. Matthew Davis said during a news conference Thursday that he's optimistic none of the three critically wounded patients being treated at Scott & White Memorial Hospital will succumb to their injuries.
Davis says "several" of the victims at the hospital northeast of Austin will be discharged Thursday, but he didn't say how many. He described them as in "good spirits."
"This is obviously a high velocity weapon and can inflict a fairly large amount of damage upon patients and we saw that evident last night," said Dr. Davis.
A hospital spokesman says three victims from Wednesday's shooting at the Army base remain in critical condition, two are fair and four are in good condition.
The other victims are being treated elsewhere and the extent of their injuries is unclear.
Meantime, military investigators continue to search for clues at Fort Hood and at the apartment that Ivan Lopez shared with his wife and young daughter before Wednesday's deadly attack.
Lopez, an Army specialist, is the soldier investigators say is responsible for the attack.
"He was undergoing mental health help, depression, anxiety, sleep," said John McHugh, Secretary of the Army.
Military officials say Lopez was evaluated just last month by an Army psychologist who told his superiors he showed no signs of violence to himself or to others, but investigators say that's exactly what happened Wednesday when he opened fire with a .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol.
Military sources say Lopez had a clean record since he enlisted in the Army in 2008, and that they don't believe he is a member of any fringe or extremist organizations. Federal agents interviewed his wife overnight and she is cooperating with the investigation.