Diabetes: You Can Take Control
Diabetes affects an estimated 21 million people nationwide. It is a chronic disease characterized by high blood sugar caused when the body is unable to produce or to properly use the hormone insulin, needed to convert sugars, starches and other foods into energy.
St.Vincent is dedicated to providing comprehensive, specialized diabetes care, including risk assessments, prevention techniques, education, and the best possible treatment in diabetes care. Our goal is to help people achieve the optimal balance they need to manage their condition and feel the best they can to live an active, healthy lifestyle.
Conditions We Treat:
We treat the following conditions:
- Type 1 Diabetes: Usually affects children and younger adults but can affect people of any age.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Usually affects adults older than 40 years old but the disease can occur in younger people as well. More young people are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes due to unhealthy eating, lack of exercise and being overweight.
- Pre-Diabetes: Blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be defined as diabetes. However, many people with pre-diabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 10 years, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Pre-diabetes also increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. With modest weight loss and moderate physical activity, people with pre-diabetes can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Gestational Diabetes: A type of diabetes that is discovered or diagnosed during pregnancy, most commonly around the 24th to 28th week of gestation and usually resolves after delivery.
Services We Provide:
Among the wide range of diabetes education and outpatient support services we provide are:
- Self-management skills for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes (for adults and children)
- Education on impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes prevention
- Gestational diabetes education
- Education on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Instruction on blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin pump training and initiation
- Continuous glucose monitoring system
- Instruction on insulin administration and other diabetes medications
- Individualized meal planning
- A variety of group classes focused on nutrition, stress management, exercise and activity, medications, foot care, and other key aspects of diabetes management and treatment
- Goal Setting