DC Navy Yard shooter was reservist until 2011
The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.
The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.
Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.
Alexis was pursuing a bachelor's degree in aeronautics via online classes at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. According to friends, he had converted to Buddhism.
In September 2010, Alexis was arrested on suspicion of discharging a firearm within city limits after a neighbor reported she was nearly shot by a bullet fired from his downstairs apartment. He told police his gun accidentally discharged while he was cleaning it, and no charges were filed. In May 2004, he was arrested in Seattle for shooting out the tires of another man's vehicle in what he later described to detectives as an anger-fueled "blackout."
"He was a very nice person," said Afton Bradley, a former co-worker at the Thai restaurant. "It kind of blows my mind away."
If you have any information concerning this individual, please contact the FBI's Washington, DC Field Office at 202/278-2000 or 1-800-CALL-FBI.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)