Crash victim's father angered by IMPD's mishandling of evidence

Aaron Wells

The father of the motorcyclist killed in the crash with Metro Police Officer David Bisard is blasting the police department's handling of the case.

Aaron Wells and his wife Mary have been critical of the police department's handling of the Bisard investigation since their son was killed.

Tuesday, after learning police mishandled blood evidence in the case, the father of Eric Wells lashed out.

"We've got a department that is operating like Mayberry and instead of having one Barney Fife running around, we've got a bunch of them," said Aaron Wells.

The reaction came after authorities announced that a second vial of Bisard's blood was moved last November out of a refrigerator at the property room to an unrefrigerated area at the police academy.

Police Chief Paul Ciesielski stepped down and the public safety director, Frank Straub, wants answers.

"Why it got moved, how it got moved and under whose direction it got moved," he said.

"To be honest with you, it's very frustrating to find out about this time and again," said Mayor Greg Ballard.

For the family who lost their son, the latest development adds to the pain.

"It's bad news. The whole situation is extremely unfortunate," said Aaron Wells. "This whole thing keeps getting worse. About the time you think it can't get much worse they tend to be able to accomplish that."

"Corruption was a part of this thing from the very beginning...and the obstruction of justice has been there. I believe it is still there. Was it a part of this blood being moved? That we don't know. I was glad that the feds were called in. And I hope they'll be able to get to the bottom of it," he added.

Still, Wells doesn't believe the latest development compromises the case.

"The first vial of blood was tested. We believe the Marion County crime lab did their job. They have no problems with testing in prior cases. We believed it was done properly. We believe that first vial is going to hold. We'll have to see what the appeals court decides on that."

"I think it's still going to move forward and I believe there will be justice at the end of this," he said.