Couple found dead in Monroe County

Reba Court
Published: .
Updated: .

At a quiet cul-de sac on Reba Court in Monroe County near Bloomington, crime scene tape has been up all day. The Monroe County Sheriff's Department said it will stay that way until results are in on the autopsies of a man and woman found dead inside that home Monday morning.

When investigators got on scene at 3221 West Reba Court Monday morning, they found 48-year-old Kelly Emerick dead after being shot in the master bedroom of her home.

Emerick's boyfriend, 42-year-old Randy Roudebush was also shot, but still alive in the same room.

"He was alive for some time after law enforcement arrived and summoned an ambulance and then he was pronounced here at the scene," said Detective Sergeant Brad Swain with the Monroe County Sheriff's Department.

Sheriff's deputies came to the home after a 911 call came in Monday morning for a welfare check. That's when they found the couple just before 6:00 am,  both with gunshot wounds, along with several guns.

"We did remove four firearms from the room in which they were found," said Swain.

Investigators said it didn't appear anyone had broken into the home.

"We're not looking at any other person that's involved so the community doesn't have anything to fear from someone else that would be at large," said Monroe County Sheriffs Department Chief Deputy Michael Pershing.

According to the coroner's office, Emerick was a paramedic supervisor for IU Health in Bloomington.

Roudebush worked as a captain at Perry-Clear Creek Fire Department and also worked as a paramedic supervisor part time for IU Health in Bloomington. He also worked part time at Elletsville and White River Township Fire Departments, along with the Monroe County Dive Team.

"Nobody saw it coming," said Perry Cleark Creek Fire Department's Chief Joe McWhorter Junior.

At the fire house where Roudebush had worked for 13 years, the shock continued to grip co-workers. Chief McWhorter said counselors would be on hand to help Roudebush's co-workers cope with the tragedy.

"Our hearts go out to both families. It is gonna take a while for this to sink in for everybody," said Chief McWhorter.

In the quiet cul-de-sac where Emerick lived, neighbors shared in that shock, mostly at a loss for words.

"I would never suspect anything like that to happen, least of all to a neighbor, two doors down," said neighbor Felicity Felmy.

An autopsy will be conducted on Emerick Monday. Roudebush's autopsy is set for Tuesday.