Cigar may be to blame for Indianapolis garage fire

fire seen from WTHR's camera on top of the Chase Tower downtown
Published: .
Updated: .

A cigar may have sparked a garage fire that sent a man to the hospital.

It happened Saturday night in the 4100 block of North Washington Boulevard on Indy's north side. The fire badly damaged the garage and the two luxury cars inside - a Lexus and Mercedes.

The homeowner told firefighters he'd been working in the garage when he set his cigar down on his tool bench and went inside the house for a few minutes. When he got back, the garage was on fire.

The 64-year-old man was taken to the hospital to be checked out.

Investigators did not find any smoke detectors inside.