Chimney fire damages west side apartments

IFD photo
Published: .
Updated: .

Three people were displaced by an overnight chimney fire on the west side Monday.

Fire crews found smoke showing from the roof of the divided wood frame house in the 300 block of S. Harris shortly after 1:00 a.m.

Eileen Black said she heard popping in her wood burning fireplace and called 911.  She was able to escape, along with Carmelo Molina and Julio Morales, who also lived in apartments at the same address. 

Crews needed 30 minutes to control the fire.

Damage is estimated at $20,000.

Firefighters recommend having fireplaces and chimneys inspected by a licensed professional before using your fireplace for the winter season.