Child playing with lighter sparks east Indianapolis apartment fire
Four people were sent to the hospital after an apartment fire on the Indianapolis east side Wednesday afternoon.
It happened at an apartment complex at 28th and Post Road. A woman told firefighters her five-year-old had been playing with a lighter.
Heavy fire and smoke was showing when firefighters arrived, and it took them about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. Damage is estimated at $300,000.
The fire started in a ground floor apartment. Six units were damaged, and 12 occupants were affected. IFD Victims Assistance and the Red Cross are working to find shelter for those who were displaced. The complex has 160 apartments and was built in 1964.
The child, his mother and a sibling were taken to Riley hospital to be checked out as a precaution. A man who lives in the building was transported to Eskenazi hospital to be checked out.
Fire Stop counselors were on scene to counsel the parents and the child.
The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep all lighters and matches out of the reach of young children. Please call Fire Stop for more information. 327-3473.