Chemical leak forces evacuation of Shortridge YMCA swimming pool
A small spill of muriatic acid on Saturday afternoon forced swimmers to evacuate the outdoor pool at the Shortridge YMCA on the east side of the city.
Firefighters were called to the pool after an alert lifeguard noticed the leak in a small building near the pool around 2 p.m. They got everyone out of the pool and called 9-1-1.
The main building of the YMCA was not evacuated.
There were no injuries and firefighters were able to contain the leak of about two to three gallons in a short time.
YMCA officials expect to be able to reopen the pool by later Saturday or Sunday.