Carmel assault victim's parents unhappy with plea deal
Jennie Runevitch/Eyewitness News
Carmel - Eyewitness News has discovered new developments in the Carmel High School assault case.
The new controversy surrounds the guilty plea by one of the students accused of assaulting a 15-year-old in a school locker room.
When Scott Laskowski pleaded guilty last week, it should have given some solace to victims' families. But the attorney for one of those victims now says: not by a long shot.
Robert Turner tells Eyewitness News the plea deal wasn't what the victim's family expected. He says the teen's parents are upset and feel misled by the Hamilton County prosecutor.
Court documents show Laskowski pleaded guilty to one count of criminal recklessness, in exchange for the other two counts being dropped.
Each count represented an alleged victim.
Turner says the problem is that one of the dropped charges was the one involving his client. He says the family didn't anticipate that charge would be wiped away.
Turner also has strong words for the prosecutor, telling Eyewitness News "this is the last straw for Sonia Leerkamp."
We tried to contact Leerkamp late Thursday afternoon, but were unable to reach her.
As part of the plea deal, Laskowski is supposed to testify against co-defendants Oscar Falodun, Brandon Hoge and Robert Kitzinger.
It's still not clear if they will face trial, or like Laskowski, plead guilty.
The victim's parents (clients of Robert Turner) sat down with Eyewitness News earlier this year, angry then that the charges were misdemeanors, not felonies.
Now, they're questioning the criminal case once again.
Robert Turner did not want to go on camera Thursday night, but he says he and the victim's family want to be heard.
They're holding a news conference Friday morning. Eyewitness News will be there and bring you details on Eyewitness News at noon and on WTHR.com.