Candles suspected cause of Noblesville house fire

Published: .
Updated: .

The Noblesville Fire Department was called to a house fire around 12:45 a.m. Wednesday at 247 N. 9th St.

The home owner, Charles Jones, was asleep when his smoke alarms started to sound and he discovered a fire in his dining room.

He escaped without injuries.

He told firefighters that he was without power earlier in the evening because of the storms moving through and had lit some candles in the dining room for light. The fire originated in that area, where the candles had remained lit after Jones went to bed.

The fire caused an estimated $65,000 in damage.