Ammonia leak sends Bartholomew County woman to hospital
Central Indiana police say a 75-year-old woman who fled her home to escape ammonia leaking from farm equipment was treated at a local hospital for breathing difficulties.
Bartholomew County Deputy Sheriff Maj. Todd Noblitt says Evelyn Burton got in her car Monday night and drove away after she smelled the gas leaking near her Taylorsville home about 35 miles south of Indianapolis,
But Burton had to pull over after she began having breathing difficulties. She was taken by ambulance to a Columbus hospital, where she was treated and released.
Noblitt tells The Republic a farmer applying anhydrous ammonia to his cropland as a fertilizer noticed that a hose had burst on his tank. He went to Burton's nearby home to warn her, but she had already fled.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)