Ambulance catches fire inside Indiana fire station

Published: .
Updated: .

Quick action by firefighters stopped flames coming from a parked ambulance from spreading to rest of a central Indiana fire station.

Greenfield Fire Chief James Roberts says smoke alarms alerted firefighters to the blaze late Monday inside the department's downtown station.

Firefighters pushed the burning ambulance from the building to avoid further damage until the blaze could be put out.

Roberts tells the Daily Reporter that the fire in the 13-year-old ambulance was likely caused by an electrical problem. The fire ravaged the engine compartment of the ambulance, which was declared a total loss.

Roberts says the department is getting a leased ambulance until a new one arrives.

Apart from a smoky smell, the fire station didn't have any damage.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)