2nd bombing suspect in serious condition after standoff

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in a new photo released by the FBI Friday.
Published: .
Updated: .

The second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been taken into custody after a standoff and shooting in Watertown, Massachusetts.

Nineteen-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was reportedly taken into custody alive after hundreds of rounds of ammunition were heard fired in the Boston suburb.

WATCH: Live coverage from NBC News

A woman told police earlier Friday she noticed blood on the tarp of a boat in a yard on Franklin Street in Watertown. Police reportedly used thermal imaging cameras from a helicopter to determine someone was inside the boat.

Shortly before 7 p.m., gunshots rang out in the town and police vehicles sped off to the neighborhood where the shooting occurred.

Tsarnaev reportedly was holed up in a trailered boat in the backyard of the home and had started a small fire in the boat when officers arrived. Officers say he had also fired a weapon at police from inside the boat.

Around 8:45 p.m., a reporter for NBC affiliate WHDH-TV in Boston saw the suspect being taken from the scene and confirmed with state police that he was, in fact, Tsarnaev.

Boston Police confirmed the arrest on the department's Twitter account.

"CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody," the department tweeted at 8:58 p.m.

Police say Tsarnaev is in serious condition at an area hospital. An officer on the scene told NBC News it was "unbelievable" that he was still alive.

President Barack Obama says the capture closes what he calls "an important chapter in this tragedy."
Obama spoke from the White House briefing room shortly after law enforcement took Tsarnaev into custody.
Obama says the nation owes a debt of gratitude to law enforcement officials and the people of Boston for their help in the search for the men.
Obama says there are still many unanswered questions about the Boston bombings, including whether the two men had help from others.  He is urging the public to not rush to judgment about their motivations.

A crowd of people erupted in applause on the streets when word of Tsarnaev's arrest spread through the streets of Watertown. Police officers and emergency crews were loudly cheered by crowds as they drove through Watertown with their emergency lights flashing.

Residents told NBC News police officers and vehicles rushed into the neighborhood where the shots were fired.

"It's very scary. There's a lot going on," said neighbor Rebecca Krieger.

Shortly before 11 p.m. Thursday, authorities say Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan, killed a police officer at MIT and then hurled explosives at officers during a car chase and a gun battle. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed during that exchange.

The brothers are from a Russian region near Chechnya -- a region that has been plagued by an Islamic insurgency that has carried out deadly bombings.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is the suspect who was seen wearing a white, backward baseball cap in the images from surveillance cameras near the scene of Monday's bombings.

After a day-long lock down in towns around Boston, Gov. Deval Patrick said Friday evening that the request for residents to stay indoors was being lifted. However, Patrick also urged people in the area to be vigilant.

Within the hour, gunshots signaled the beginning of the end of the manhunt.

No Miranda Rights read

A Justice Department official says the Boston Marathon bombing suspect will not be read his Miranda rights because the government is invoking a public safety exception.

That official and a second person briefed on the investigation says 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be questioned by a special interrogation team for high-value suspects. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to disclose the information publicly.

The public safety exception permits law enforcement officials to engage in a limited and focused unwarned interrogation of a suspect and allows the government to introduce the statement as evidence in court. The public safety exception is triggered when police officers have an objectively reasonable need to protect the police or the public from immediate danger.

Computer taken from sister's home

The FBI has removed a computer from the New Jersey home of the sister of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

The police director in West New York, N.J., says the woman has told authorities she has not been in frequent touch with her brothers. He says she is very upset.
Police say the woman is cooperating in the investigation, but they didn't immediately release her name. They have cordoned off the three-story brick building across the Hudson River from New York City.
The woman, speaking through a crack in the door, tells The Star-Ledger of Newark her brothers are smart and great people. She says she doesn't know what got into her brothers. At the same time, she says she doesn't know if it's true that her brothers were responsible.

She also tells the newspaper she is sorry for "all the people who are hurt."

Uncle urges surrender

An uncle of the suspects say the men lived near Boston and had been in the United States for about a decade.

Ruslan Tsarni of Montgomery Village, Md. said Friday morning his nephew should turn himself in to police and ask for forgiveness.  

Tsarni says he hasn't seen the brothers for several years. He says the family is ashamed. He says he loves the U.S. and respects this country.

Thousands of officers have swarmed the streets in a manhunt that all but paralyzed the Boston area.

Monday's bombings near the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed three people and wounded more than 180 more.

President Barack Obama is being briefed on the developments in Boston Marathon bombing investigation by Attorney General Eric Holder, FBI Director Robert Mueller and several other national security officials. Secretary of State John Kerry, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and CIA director John Brennan are among the other top officials in the briefing.

Kerry: "Part of the way" to justice

Kerry says "we are part of the way there" in finding those responsible for the Boston bombing and bringing them to justice.

He says the Obama administration is determined now to finish the job.

Speaking to reporters Friday at the State Department, Kerry, a former Massachusetts senator, declined to comment on the ongoing investigation or the suspects' background from a Russian region near Chechnya.

He said, quote: "Terror is terror. And this underscores the importance of all of us maintaining vigilance and cooperation together internationally."

Kerry added that "terror anywhere in the world against any country is unacceptable and we need to continue to stand up and fight against it."

Suspect vehicle located

Connecticut State Police say a vehicle believed to be linked to a wanted Boston Marathon bombing suspect has been recovered.
Police said in a news release Friday that a gray Honda CRV with Massachusetts plates was found in Boston. Authorities had said earlier that the vehicle "could possibly be occupied by" the suspect wanted in the Boston attacks.
The news release provided scant other details about the vehicle.
Suspect's college closed

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth has closed campus and ordered an evacuation after confirming that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings is registered there.
The school did not say what Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is studying at the university. School officials say they closed the campus "out of an abundance of caution."

Students say he lived on the third floor of a campus dormitory. Harry Danso, who lives on the same floor, tells the AP he saw him in the dorm hallway this week and Tsarnaev was calm.

Student Brie McCarron tells The Associated Press that police and SWAT teams have descended on campus.  She says students who know Tsarnaev say he lives in a dormitory.
She says: "Everyone is freaking out."
Dartmouth is about 65 miles south of the area where authorities are searching Tsarnaev.

Manhunt timeline

Key moments related to the search for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, based on reports from the Massachusetts governor, the Middlesex County district attorney, Massachusetts State Police and Boston police.
- At 5:10 p.m. Thursday, investigators of the bombings release photographs and video of two suspects. They ask for the public's help in identifying the men.
- Around 10:20 p.m., shots are fired on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, just outside Boston.
- At 10:30 p.m., an MIT campus police officer who was responding to a disturbance is found shot multiple times in his vehicle, apparently in a confrontation with the Boston Marathon bombing suspects. He is later pronounced dead.
- Shortly afterward, two armed men reportedly carjack a Mercedes SUV in Cambridge. A man who was in the vehicle is held for about a half hour and then released unharmed at a gas station on Memorial Drive in Cambridge.
- Police soon pursue the carjacked vehicle in Watertown, just west of Cambridge.
- Some kind of explosive devices are thrown from the vehicle in an apparent attempt to stop police. The carjackers and police exchange gunfire. A transit police officer is seriously injured. One suspect, later identified as Suspect No. 1 in the marathon bombings, is critically injured and later pronounced dead.
- Authorities launch a manhunt for the other suspect.
- Around 1 a.m. Friday, gunshots and explosions are heard in Watertown. Dozens of police officers and FBI agents converge on a Watertown neighborhood. A helicopter circles overhead.
- Around 4:30 a.m., Massachusetts state and Boston police tell people living in that section of eastern Watertown to stay in their homes. They identify the carjackers as the same men suspected in the marathon bombings. Overnight, police also release a photograph of a man believed to be Suspect No. 2 wearing a gray hoodie-style sweatshirt. The image apparently is from surveillance video taken at a gas station.
- Around 5:50 a.m. authorities urge residents in Watertown, Newton, Waltham, Belmont, Cambridge, Arlington and the Allston-Brighton neighborhoods of Boston to stay indoors. All mass transit is shut down.
- Around 6:35 a.m., The Associated Press reports that the bomb suspects are from a Russian region near Chechnya and lived in the United States for at least a year.
- Around 6:45 a.m., The Associated Press identifies the surviving Boston bomb suspect as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, who has been living in Cambridge.
- Around 8 a.m., Boston's police commissioner says all of Boston must stay in their homes as the search for the surviving suspect in the bombings continues.
- Around 8:40 a.m., a U.S. law enforcement official and the uncle of the suspects confirm that the name of the slain suspect is Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's older brother.
- Around 10:20 a.m., Connecticut State Police say a car believed to be linked to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been recovered in Boston. They initially call it a Honda CRV, but authorities later say it was a Honda Civic.
- Around 10:35 a.m., the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth says it closed its campus and ordered an evacuation after confirming that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is registered there. The school says it closed the campus "out of an abundance of caution" as the search continued.
- Around 11:30 a.m., Massachusetts State Police explain that the brothers suspected in the bombings were in the Honda when they carjacked the Mercedes SUV. For a while, each drove one of the two vehicles, but then ditched the Honda and reunited in the Mercedes.
- Around 12:35 p.m., state police in Watertown say officers are searching door-to-door but still have not found the bombing suspect.
- Around 6:30 p.m., Massachusetts Gov. Patrick Deval announces that mass transit is resuming and the "stay indoors" order is being lifted even though one suspect remains on the lam. State police say that suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, fled on foot and there is indication he has a vehicle. They believe he is still in the state because of his ties to the area.
-Around the time the order is lifted, a flurry of gunfire breaks out in the same community that was being searched. Law enforcement officials locate Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in a boat parked behind a home.
-Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is taken into custody by police at approximately 8:45 p.m. Spontaneous applause breaks out among police and onlookers surrounding the scene and residents take to the streets to cheer police.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)