2 dead, 1 injured in house fire
Firefighters found three victims at a home in the 2800 block of Duane Drive around 8:30 p.m. - 72-year-old Bettie Bradley, her 82-year-old brother, Henderson Clayton Wyrick, and Bradley's 51-year-old son. Bradley died Sunday morning. Wyrick passed away later that day. At last check, Bradley's 51-year-old son was listed in good condition at Eskenazi Hospital.
Neighbors saw the fire and called 911, according to IFD Capt. Rita Reith. They also hooked up a water hose to try to keep the fire under control long enough for the 51-year-old to help the other two out of the house. Bradley was wheelchair bound and Wyrick used one part-time. The smoke got to be too much for the 51-year-old to help both. When firefighters arrived, they were able to help and all three were rescued from the home.
All three were taken to the hospital.
Bradley, Wyrick and the 51-year-old had lived together at the house for the past five years. No one else was in the home at the time.
Despite heavy smoke billowing from the house, the fire was put out quickly. Investigators believe a discarded cigarette or other smoking material started the fire. Damage to the house was estimated at $225,000.