13-Minute Meals: White bean vegetable soup
Recipe by Chef Suzanne
- 1 (15-ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup celery
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- ½ cup diced yellow squash
- ½ cup chopped artichokes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, optional
In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, squash, artichokes, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.